I can sing a rainbow....

Saturday 22 June 2013

I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, I can sing a rainbow tooooooooo!
A few days ago, for the third or fourth time, I made rainbow cupcakes! Or my take on them anyway! (As pink and blue, aren't the normal rainbow colours) They were for my mum's school fair, so sadly I didn't get to keep very many of them, although I did get to spoon out and eat all the left over frosting whilst watching the new episodes of BINTM! So it wasn't all bad!
Today I've decided to do a diy/recipe post on them! Because they're a lot easier than you would imagine! And taste and look so lovely too! I got the original inspiration from a post on Becky's blog, Milk bubble tea, here. (Post, here)If you want to see how I made them, and maybe try it yourself, then keep reading! 


If you're anything like me, you may not be the best or most experienced baker, despite my love of the Great British Bake Off!
But this recipe/diy means that anyone from a wary novice to a seasoned baker can have ago! I used a cupcake mix from Sainsbury's but if you have an awesome vanilla cup cake recipe, then use that!  
1.Gather your mix/recipe and food colouring, plus the ingredients that your individual mix/recipe requires. I found that if you're using a mix two boxes of mix is needed instead of one, to give you enough batter! If you're using a recipe then you can simply double what you need!
2.Follow the instructions on your mix/recipe until you have your base cake batter! 
3.Then split your batter into the number of colours you want in your cupcakes. I split mine into three, and used a ladle to spoon the batter into the bowls! 

4.Add your food colouring to your batter. Keep adding drops and stirring until you have your preferred colour. I chose pink, blue and purple. For the purple I mixed the pink and blue, which felt a lot like being back in GCSE art lessons!   
5.Put your cupcake cases into the tray. Start by adding your first colour to the bottom of the cases, then layer your other colours on top, until you've added all of your colours and there is no batter left or they are nearly full. (As pictured below)
(It can get a little messy)
6.Place in the oven for the amount of time specified by your recipe/mix. Once done, take out and leave to cool.
7. The inside should look something like the picture below, depending on your colour combination! 
8.Once your cupcakes are cool/cooling, start to make your frosting or icing. Follow the instructions given by your recipe/mix, or alternatively use a ready made pot. Once made, add your food colouring of choice, and continue to stir until it is the colour you want. I choose to split my frosting and do two colours, pink and blue.
9.Cover your cakes in your frosting/icing, decorate and add the finishing touches in anyway you like! 
And voila, you have your rainbow cupcakes! 
They're really easy to make, and so easy to customise to your preference!
I hope you've enjoyed this, let me know if you want to see more posts like this! 
If you make them then please let me know, I'd love to see them! You can either tweet me (@Holl_JC) or instagram me (@holljc) or leave a comment here if you do a post! 
Love and cuddles
God bless 
post signature