Five Things I've Learnt in the Last Six Months

Wednesday 13 September 2017

The last six months have been some of the most challenging and life changing of my 21 years. Throughout the days, months and weeks I've had good days, bad days, terrible days, you name it, I've probably had a day of it. My life has never changed more than as it has in the last six months, and now looking back I've realised I've learnt quite alot, 90% of the time without even realising it. I wanted to share some of the lessons I've learnt over the craziest of six months, some of them are probably common sense and others potentially not so obvious. But here goes....


1. Pride
One of our biggest hurdles in life can be our ego and pride. What I've began to learn, is that when you leave your pride at the door it can really help both yourself and your relationships to grow and flourish. Is being right or saving face worth messing up an important relationship or a shed loada awkwardness? As humans we're fantastic at getting up on our high horses and thinking that something isn't our job or responsibility, that's our lil' friend pride speaking. In recent years the thinking has been if someone doesn't make an effort with you, then you shouldn't make an effort with them. But if you miss someone, tell them, hang your pride up and say something, reach out! You never know what positive things could happen as a result.    

2. "I really don't care"
Ok, so I admit, this point kinda sounds bad! Let me explain, a phrase my family used time and time again throughout my childhood was, "Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill". Following my mums second cancer diagnosis at the beginning of the year, I've learnt what really matters in life. Ok, maybe being as blunt or brutal as to actually say to someone "I really don't care" is too far, and pretty dang rude - but does it really matter if an image is exactly in the middle of a 2 inch by 2 inch sticker or if something is the perfect shade of millennial pink? Laughing with friends, spending quality time with family, making happy memories that will last a life time, those are the things that I've learnt truly matter.   

3. Do one thing
Do one thing a day every day, even if it's just combing your hair, or watching a full film, or having a shower, or a making your bed. Progress is about the baby steps, and completing one thing a day, no matter how small, is exactly that, progress! 

4. Being you is ok
Victoria Secret Models, Kardashian's, Insta contour queens - They're the women that society tells us are beautiful, successful, goals, perfection, yada yada yada, you know the rest. And yes, a whole lot of those women are authentically being themselves and absolutely killing it fulfilling their dreams. But not everyone is a 5ft11, athletic gal or a bootylicious bronzed babe. Some of us are 5ft1 hobbits, others are pale and proud, others are curvy and creative. Some women have absolutely no interest in make up, others adore football, some obsess over Harry Potter, others have watched Love Island on repeat all summer or are addicted to Pro-wrestling, some ladies love all of the above and so much more. And what I've learnt is, that's ok! In fact that's more than ok! You may be a fashion grad who loves fantasy and is a hardcore feminist but also loves WWE and Disney at at the same time, and is very partial to a good cocktail and cuppa  - to you (me) that may seem like the oddest of combinations. But it's all those individual components that come together to create a human, a living breathing, eating, laughing, loving, clumsy human being. It's a total cliche, but no one is you and that is your super power. 

5. Laughter is good for the soul 
Need I say more?


Love
God Bless